Crete is the largest, most populous of the Greek islands and the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea. It forms a significant part of the economy and cultural heritage of Greece; it retains its own local cultural traits (such as its own dialect, poetry, and music). Crete was the centre of the Minoan civilization (circa 2700–1420 BC), the first civilization in Europe and the first European country with a palace (at Knossos).
- Area: 8.336km² (3.219sq.mi.)
- Population: 623,666 (as of 2005)
- Density: 75 /km² (194 /sq.mi.)
- Capital: Heraklion
- Prefectures: Heraklion, Chania, Rethymno, Lasithi
- Highest mountain: Mt. Psiloritis (2,456 m (8,058 ft))
Yeah..Crete! from Christine Schmitthenner on Vimeo.